Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cantonese Chili Oil 港式辣椒油


This is condiment that you might get when you dine at a Cantonese restaurants. It is quite different from the Sichuan chili oil as wet spices are being used here, more like a less glamourous version of X.O  sauce I  think (I'll be posting the recipe in the near future). I decided to make this to go with the lo mai kai tonight. It is sweet, spicy, savoury and goes very well with just about anything!! Use it as a condiment or chuck some into your next stir fry and you'll be making this on a regular basis.
P.S I managed to get this recipe from my friend W's mother in Hong Kong just before her mahjong session was to start. Thanks Aunty E!

you'll need;
300g of shallots, chopped
250g of garlic, chopped
150g of bird chilies, chopped
80g of dried shrimp, soaked, drained
and chopped
25g of Chinese ham (optional)
100g of crushed chilies
3 tbs of sugar
2 tbs of chicken powder
500 to 700 ml of cooking oil

Blend garlic, chilies, shallots and dried shrimps in a food processor to a course mixture.

Fry blended spices in cooking oil for 5 minutes on medium heat, add the rest of the ingredients and continue to cook on very low heat for 20 minutes. Stir from time to time to avoid solids sticking to the bottom.

Place chili oil in a sterilised jar, use it as a condiment or in stir fries.

23 comments:

  1. Gimme your address pls, I've got something to ship to you. SERIOUSLY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awsome! I always wanted to make this but was not able to get a good recipe and the shop bought ones are not very nice! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this looks like the real thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha Kenny I'll email you the address later, just don't send me snakes :)

    Thanks BIBI, make a bigger batch and send some over :)

    Anonymous this is the real thing haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wahh.. chili oil... i dont know how they make at the restaurant, now i know.. thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I love this alot ! Can u send me a bottle pls , mine is finishing soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks A Full-Timed Housefly! I'll send you some the next time I make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this sauce, always have to ask for extra and often the waiters are not too please about that haha. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks even better than those served in the restaurants! Can't wait for the X.O sauce, I think I'll be making that as X'mas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are welcome BIBI! perhaps you can byo chili oil next time!!

    Thanks love to eat! That is a very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favourite Cantonese restuarant closed down and I have been having serious chilli oil withdrawl for a year! No other restuarant has been able to match the taste... but this receipe looks spot on. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is lovely! tried today, the first time i cooked and my dad ate twice his usual portion! great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a lovely recipe. i was just heavier on the seasoning and added in some dried scallops too. now i can have this anytime, anywhere. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How long does this keep for?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find about 6 months if you use a clean spoon and a sterile jar

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, was wondering what chicken powder you use as I can't find chicken powder in the UK supermarkets. Will chicken stock cubes do?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi, i was wondering if you can use any ham

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have 150g of bird chilies, chopped another 150g crushed chilli. Are they the same chilli? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tried to recreate your recipe but the final product was not as red as your version. I don’t know if anyone else have the same problem?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin