Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dry Fried Rice Noodles 雜錦乾河 - "Malaysian Monday 41"



We had an over indulged weekend and shopping for food was the last thing I wanted to do after work on Monday. Luckily there are always noodles both fresh and dried in my pantry, together with the meat and vegetables salvaged from the fridge and freezer I was able to come up two noodles dishes using basically the same ingredients. Winter is truly here and so is every food blogger's nightmare, the lack of natural light means I will be taking photos using artificial lighting for the next few months. 



recipe per serve
you'll need;
250 to 300 g of fresh rice noodles (河粉), loosen and rubbed with a dash of light soy
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 Chinese cabbage leaves or Asian greens of your choice
1/2 a carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
a handful of snow peas, topped and tailed
30 g of chicken breast, sliced and marinated*
5 to 6 prawns, peeled leaving the tails intact, butterflied
a few fish cake slices (optional)
1 tbs of light soy
1.5 tbs of oyster sauce
1.5 tbs of thick caramel sauce
white pepper to taste
1 egg
3 spring onions, cut into 4 to 5 cm lengths
cut chillies in soy to serve
* marinate chicken breast with a little soy, sesame oil, white pepper, oyster sauce and corn starch.



Prepare the prawns.



Marinate chicken breast and set aside.



Char rice noodles with a little oil in a very hot wok or pan. Do not attempt to move the noodles too much. When noodles are charred and blistered remove and set aside.



In the same wok or pan, saute garlic with a little oil followed by the marinated chicken breast, prawns and fish cake slices if using. When the chicken and prawns are almost cooked add in the vegetables and continue to cook on high heat for a minute or two.



Return noodles to the wok/pan and mix well. Add seasonings and cook on high heat for a minute more.



Make a well in the centre of the wok/pan and break in an egg. When the egg is half cooked mix everything well.



Finally add the spring onions and cook until wilted. Check for seasonings before serving.



Serve immediately with some cut chillies in soy. I wanted something with some kind of sauce so I made myself a plate of wat dan hor (fried rice noodles with egg sauce) using the same ingredients.




It is my turn to host this month's event so please send all your entries to me at sureshchong@yahoo.com
To find out about the event and how to take part please click HERE.

7 comments:

  1. Yum, you managed to pull together a good meal on short notice. Winter has definitely arrived, we're freezing here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me hungry! I'm going to cook this recipe;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harriet of CarltonJune 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM

    I Just got back from Malaysia, although it was my first trip there I was able to order many familiar dishes thanks to your blog :) Will make this when I am able to get some fresh rice noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a serve of each please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was just so, so good! I added some home made roasted chilli paste but otherwise followed the recipe & the seasonings were spot on. What I really loved was your technique for charring the rice noodles; I haven't been able to sucessfully do this before so I was very excited! It really gave amazing texture and flavour. Thanks for a great dinner. Cheers, Beck

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks Beck! it makes my day to know you trust to try another recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin