Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ikan Bilis Masak Kentang, Spicy Anchovy, Potato And Peanut Stir Fry - "Malaysian Monday 42"



As an old Chinese saying goes, "peony though beautiful, relies on the green leaves to bring out its brilliance" (roughly translated from 牡丹雖好,全仗綠葉扶持。) I always plan my meals using the same principle - to have a few side dishes that compliment the one or two star attractions of any given meal. Familiar to all Malaysians and Singaporeans; this everyday dish, despite its simplicity its dangerously addictive!  



serves 4 to 6 as part of a Malaysian meal
you'll need;
100 g of dried anchovies
100 g of peanuts
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into batons
2 tbs of brown sugar
juice from one lime or 4 Asian limes (limau kasturi)
oil for frying

for the spice mix;
1 green chili, chopped
1 red chili, chopped
4 garlic cloves, bashed



To prepare the spice mix - pound ingredients into a course paste.



Peel and cut potatoes into neat batons.



Fry potatoes until golden and drain well followed by the peanuts.



Drain off most of the oil and fry anchovies until golden and crispy, drain well and set aside.



Saute the spice mix with 2 tbs of oil for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat then add in the sugar and lime juice. Stirring constantly until the mixture thicken and turn syrupy.



Return the potatoes, peanuts and anchovies to the pan, stir and coat well.



Serve as part of a Malaysian meal.



I am hosting this month's event so please send all your entries to me at sureshchong@yahoo.com
To find out about the event and how to take part please click HERE.

13 comments:

  1. hi Tummy:)inilah lauk kegemaran makcik jika nak cepat atau dalam kesuntukan masa.Makan dengan nasi panas..hmm pengsan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were in Singapore in January I ate a lot of ikan bilis and loved it! My parents were with us too (my mum and dad lived in Malaysia and Singapore for years) so they took us to the best Malaysian places to eat. I wish I'd taken more pictures of it all to show you!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try substituting potato with tempeh. healthier too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. can have this for dinner tonight..thanks for your idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with swee san, can add tempeh too, so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right about the addictive part. The cafeteria at my residential college used to have this on the menu (with tempeh), and I must have eaten kilos of it through my years there :) Haven't had it in ages though, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh! I'm always hungry when looking at your delicious dishes. yum..yum..

    ReplyDelete
  8. where have you been?

    hope your're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks wonderful and appetizing. I would like to invite you to our "Quick and easy recipe mela" and enter your recipe. We would be glad to see your participation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So easy to make and it looks delicious. The ingredients is so cheap and easy to find.Now off to hotel and time to shop in Brisbane market.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin