Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Vegetable Pakora - "Malaysian Monday 83"



I made a batch of vegetable fritters for my very homesick friend G when she came for a visit over the weekend. It was a perfect snack for a beautiful afternoon filled with chatter, laughter and one too many drinks.

I grew up in Cameron Highlands which has a high percentage of population of South Indian origin so this has always been known to me as bajji  but for a Punjabi girl from K.L she prefers to call it pakora instead which is perfectly fine with me.

I very much just used what was in my fridge but eggplant, cauliflower can also be used. For all the meat lovers out there do remember to check out my chicken and vegetables bajji.

P.S Please check out the latest Muhibbah Malaysian Roundup if you haven't already done so.



makes 12 to 16
you'll need;
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 onion, cut into chunks
150 g of green beans, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
1 can of corn kernels, drained
1 cup of besan flour*
3/4 cup of water
1.5 tbs of chili powder
1.5 tbs of cumin powder
1 tbs of coriander powder
1/2 tbs of garam masala
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying
** besan flour or chickpea flour can be bought from south Asian grocers



Cutting and dicing of the chosen vegetables and place them in a large bowl.



Mix besan flour, water and spices in a separate bowl.



Mix the besan flour mixture with the diced vegetables and season generously with salt and pepper.



Fry pakora in batches until golden brown. (1.5 heap tbs of batter/fritter)



I served them with Lingham chili sauce, another cure for homesick Malaysians.



My friend Sharon from Test With Skewer will be hosting this month's event, please send all your entries to its.sharon@gmail.com
To learn more about the event and on how to enter, please click here.

7 comments:

  1. I made your chicken bajji and it was to die for, will make this soon since I still have a lot of besan flour left :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posting of Vegetable Pakora came at the right time, when I was trying to think of what to do with my leftover chickpea flour. By the way, besan flour IS chickpea flour, right? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks really good and comforting. good posting! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. You maԁe some геаlly good points theгe.
    I checked on thе web to find out moгe about the issue and found most people will go along with your vіews
    on this ωeb site.

    my homeрage ... www.sfgate.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you tired of bland or uninteresting Indian cuisine ? It’s time to experience what true Indian food should taste like. At Paramparaa Indian Restaurant, you’ll find quality ingredients expertly prepared to ensure you always get something exciting and delicious.It’s Located in Healesville , Australia. From wonderful samosa, onion bajji, chicken pakora, paneer 65 as an appetizer to butter chicken, garlic naan, or saffron rice or biryani, the offerings at Paramparaa Indian Restaurant are always delicious and enjoyable. If you’re in the mood for seafood, be sure to try the Prawn curry or Fish Fry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rainbow/PRIDE Cupcakes - Add a splash of colour and cheer to someones day with these happy rainbow cupcakes. Send a box of kindness and make someone’s day

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin